Friday, June 27, 2014

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World (Dewey Readmore) by Vicki Myron, Bret Witter (Contributor)


This is the sweet and charming story of a cat named Dewey Readmore Books, abandoned as a kitten in a library return shoot and adopted by the library. He formed bonds with people far and wide and had great effects on the citizens of the small town of Spencer, Iowa, and especially on his "mom," the librarian (and author), Vicki Myron. The book is actually the memoirs of the librarian, including her personal and family history of hard times and how she managed to pull through them. Also, it is the history of the town of Spencer and how its enterprise has changed over the years and how its citizens always manage to bounce back.

I enjoyed all of the book, but the one change I would suggest is to incorporate into the name the other people the book is about, maybe Dewey Readmore Books and the Lives He Touched. I felt a little misled by the title as it stands. I thought the whole book would be just the cat's story. (Maybe that was naïve on my part.) Nevertheless, it is very positive and entertaining, and I did enjoy listening to it on audio. I would recommend this book to all animal lovers, especially cat lovers, but I suspect the cover picture alone probably already enticed anyone who loves cats to pick it up and read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment